Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

My memorable cake for Teacher's Day

          Going down this path brings back so much happy memories. Now I take you along my memory lane that cross a span of 21 years. I came home tired after a hard day's work of meeting a dead line to file some papers in Court and having done that, I gave a huge sigh of relief; glad that all things necessary had been done, just happy to pack my things, head back home with hubby and having dinner together with our kids. We were having dinner at the dinner table [those days we used to eat together as a family at the dinner table.  These days some ppl eat in front of a telly, glued to the black box or on a lap top and losing out on bonding time, talking and listening to the family], then my 10 year old girl dropped a bomb shell on me that jolted me and made me sit upright!!! The girls in her class discussed what they wanted to do for Teacher's Day the next day and they wanted a cake for their beloved teacher, Mrs Foo, and they all suggested that I did same as they knew that I dabble with baking, being my testers at some point of time and they would each bring some finger food.  I gagged at it at first as I could not take leave the next day to rest as I had another dead line to meet but when I saw the disappointment on her little face and then hearing both my girls chipping in, "Mum we have both finished our home work and we will help you as we know you are tired". Hearing that statement all my feelings of tiredness flew off the window and I resolved, with their help of course, to bake something which would make them proud of me esp my 10 year old as it was for her beloved teacher, already I had a few ideas, although limited ones, floating in my mind, haha as I only started real baking 5 years ago and I cant even call that 5 years experience in baking as I was still, very much, a novice in baking and still had so much to learn before I can come full circle. After discussing with my girls and getting their consent, the three of us started donning an apron each and started the ball rolling. I could see that my girls were enjoying themselves tremendously and making a little mess of things, I smiled inwardly and told myself, it didnt matter, this was in a way a special bonding with them and spending quality time and something that would probably be etched deep into the recesses of their mind and something they would remember when they started their own little family, I smiled at that thought.  I decided together with my 2 girls that I would bake a sponge in a square low tin and then I would cut it into stripes and spread a little butter cream to stick them together and then rolled them into a round circle until I have a circle that was 10" in diameter.  So we set about this task and once it was completed I made a jelly, I think it was pink in colour as it was more than 21 years ago and it was a pity that I dont have a picture of that cake. I  wet the 11" tin as we were taught in our baking class that it would Then be easier to unmould the jelly then poured the jelly into the wet tin. Then I lay 3 long cake knives underneath the cake and with the aid of my girls, I would not have been able to accomplish this task alone; each carrying simultaneously and gingerly, we slowly inserted into the warm jelly, at the same time not daring to breath as we were afraid that the cake will unloosen from its round shape and float up and if that happened, I am dead as it was already 10 p.m., time for my kids to go to bed as next day was a school day as they were in the morning session. I held the cake down for sometime and then slowly released some pressure gradually and fuyoh the cake Did Not float!!!!!! Happiness was apparent on all our 3 faces. I left the cake on the table to cool, before I can put it in the fridge, not daring to shake it and keeping my fingers crossed. Then I did the massive clean up and strangely enough I didnt feel tired; probably buoyed with the thought that I was able to produce a cake in a short space of time with the help of my precious girls.

          Next day I got up very early in the morning as I had to unmould the cake and pack it in a box for my girl to take it to school with the instructions, the nite before, that it had to be kept in the canteen fridge which would probably cause a ruckus among the girls during recess, as the jelly will melt if left outside in the hot blistering heat. With bated breath I slowly and gently unmoulded the cake onto a cake board and slowly it triggled down; happiness apparent on my face for a split second then when it came down entirely; oh dear I saw a 3" gapping hole at the extreme top right hand corner caused by air pocket. Temporarily, my mind went blank, as usual I was flustered; I could only think about my little girl. Then out of the blue came my solution, I rushed to the pantry and brought out a small tin of Del Monte diced fruit cocktail, opened it and drained the juice out of the fruit cocktail and filled the gaping hole and  Then voila, I was struck bythe sheer beauty of it, in fact it was more appealing this way than in the original version that I intended to present the cake  with nothing much to stand out except for the flat plain jelly. The fruits looked so pretty with its varied colours; luscious orange from the diced peaches, red from the cherries, cream from the pears and grapes; such a pretty sight. I quickly tied the box and put it in the fridge; smiling to myself and keeping this little secret from my girls as the spotaneous joy from her looking at the fruits would be contagious with the rest of her class and they would all probably clap their hands and wait in anticipation to eat eagerly the fruits of our labour, haha.
           I then proceeded to work with a light heart and a bounce in my steps and eagerly waiting to return home to see my kids and listen attentively to their non stop pop. When I came back, both my girls rushed to me and gave me a big hug and a wet kiss each; my youngest esp overjoyed at the celebrity status they both earned in school as they both proudly said they helped their mum to make this cake. I was glad but frankly if you now ask me to reproduce that gaping hole in the cake, I dont know whether I can do it again for, haha it was a fluke shot :) :) :)  or if need be, I would use a sharp knife and gingerly cut a hole. One of the reasons why I wanted to blog on this was a week ago I saw one of my younger girl's classmate in her face book and I quickly click to be added as her friend. Her class mate told me she was in raptures when she saw my Request and promptly added me on her face book then to cap it all, she told me that she will never forget the fruit cake I made and had a photo of it somewhere at home, she is in Australia now doing her Masters and would probably return in December for a short break.  I asked her whether she could look for it when she came back and post it on fb in order for me to tag on it and save it on my album. I dont really know whether the picture she has, is this cake that I am bloging about and if so, I would insert the image when I have same :) :) :) though have to wait until end of the year to know whether that picture has been thrown away or misplaced. Keeping my fingers crossed. 
                 Till my next post, xoxo, Ophelia
                   

1 comment:

Ophelia said...

Very sad to add that, in her excitement to be home and among her peers, my girl's classmate didnt find the picture for me :( thus no picture; just yr imagination to visualise my cake.