"A" which is the Crumble
150 gm Self Raising Flour, sieved
100 gm Brown Sugar
80 gm Butter OR Vegetable Shortening
Method for Crumble "A" - You can mix everything manually, lightly & short while till it resembles coarse corn meal.
Tips for "A"
1. This can be done a day earlier, cling wrap, put in a tupperware BUT DO NOT PUT IN
FRIDGE; leave it at room temperature;
2. In respect of the 80 gm Butter OR Vegetable Shortening if you use Vegetable Shortening,
the Crumble is more crispy.
300 gm All Purpose Flour/Tepung Gandung
150 gm Vegetable Shortening
5 Oz Water approximately 150 ml
1/2 teasp Salt
1 Tabsp Brown Sugar
"C" [filling - mix well]
1 can Apple Filling
100 gm Raisins
1/2 teasp Cinnamon powder
Mix all these 3 together but if you want to make your own homemade apple filing, I teach you a very simple one :)
Remove skin of 2 green & 2 red apples, soak it in water, to keep them from discolouring, while you are attending to coring and cutting them. After cutting drain the water then add 1 Tablespoon of Lemon juice to keep them from discolouring.
Cook the apples with 1 Tabsp Sugar and the Cinnamon powder on medium low fire. Cool completely.
- Remove your dough from fridge and let it thaw for 20 - 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle/dust little flour on large plastic sheet [this is transparent plastic sheets which hawkers normally pack the food and which you can buy from markets]. Place dough on top then dust little flour on another large plastic and place the floured side on top of the dough.
- Use a rolling pin and roll in one direction only Not up and down.
- Preheat oven at 180 degress centigrade for at least 20 minutes.
- Straight away take a cutter and cut the dough and place the cut dough on a tart mould [you know the fluted tart moulds which ppl use to make egg tarts]. Press the dough lightly then take a fork and poke some holes.
- Add the cooled [if you made your own] apple pie filling and scatter the crumble on top & straight away bake in the Pre heated oven for 20 - 30 minutes.
(a) Most important Must important if you make the crumble a day ahead, Do Not put it in
the fridge, read my recipe on how to store the same at room temperature;
(b) After cutting the dough and placing it on the tart moulds, putting the apple filling and
placing the tart moulds on a baking tray, you can now cover with a large plastic and
put in the fridge. Next day, pre heat oven at 180 degrees for 20 minutes, When oven
already preheated, remove from fridge, straight away add the Room Temperature
crumble and bake it straight away in pre heated oven for 20 - 30 minutes.
Till my next post, xoxo, Ophelia