Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Dried Prawn Sambal


                                                      Dried Prawn Sambal

            YM this is dedicated to you as you were mentioning same at the last cell meeting, this is finger licking good & I was happy that I learnt same. Dried Prawn Sambal is something most of us have eaten esp in our youth when our mothers use to make it and then spreading it on buttered bread, cucumber and lettuce; packing same for us to take to school and each mum has her very own special recipe that most children will swear that their mum makes the best dried prawn sambal and each one has its own special identity.

             For me I love learning as then everything is measured so that the next time hubby or kids ask me to do anything that I have learnt, they can rest assured that the taste would be identical and not a case of hit and run.  Learning is one thing then tweaking it to my own personal taste and of course, recording the changes so that it will always taste the same and then compiling same and passing it down to my kids for posterity that has always be my desire as let's face it, we will not always be around as we all have to go sometime or rather at least we didnt leave the family stranded, so to speak.  Our kids need not face the situation when our own parents passed on and we were, literally speaking, dumb folded as we did not have the forethought, time or the passion to record our mum's cooking and then we ask our siblings whether we had learnt from mum and even if we had, it would have been sikit gula, chilli, etc, etc.  Having faced that problem I have decided that I would type my recipes in my Blog and started compiling what I have learnt for my children and their off springs as food is the glue that keeps the family together then I also wanted to share my recipes with ppl on blogspire too as I believe that is the ultimate call for me as sharing is caring!!!  Enjoy Ophelia

                  For this recipe you can get 540 gm of the dried prawn sambal :) yes I weighed same after it was cooled. 

                        Dried Sambal Prawns

      "A"

      300 gm       Dried Prawns, [wash then soak in hot water for half an hour then blend till fine]
      300 ml       Oil

       "B"

         12            Shallots
           5 pips     Garlic
           1             Serai/Lemon Grass
            2"           Fresh Kunyit
          *5 - 7       Chilli Padi [* this is just amended as my fren said not hot enough]

        "C"

          3 Tabsp      Chilli Boh                                          ] sorry forgot
          1 Tabsp       Freshly grounded Coriander powder ] to type these 2
        1/2 Tabsp     Assam Jawa  ] mix together
        1 Tabsp        Water            ] to get a thick paste
       
         3                  Daun Limau Purut, [remove its vein as bitter] shred finely
       1/2 teasp        Salt
         2 Tabsp       Sugar

         Method
  1. Blend the dried prawns finely, set aside.
  2. Blend "B" separately till fine, set aside.
  3. Mix the assam jawa and water in a bowl to a thick paste. Set aside.
  4. Heat the oil and fry just a small handful of the dried prawns to fragrant the oil for about 3 minutes.
  5. Add in "A" and fry for about 5 minutes when you can see the oil bubbling.
  6. Add in the chilli boh & Corriander powder and fry till oil oozes out of the rempah for about 5 minutes.
  7. Add in the blended dried shrimps and fry on low fire for 30 minutes and keep on stirring [as basically there is not much oil and it will get burnt easily if unattended and if you feel that you want to put slightly more oil, do so according to your taste].
  8. Add in the shredded limau purut and stir for 1 - 2 minutes.
  9. Add in the thick assam paste solution and salt & turn the heat high to let the assam paste cook for 3 minutes.
  10. Lower the fire then add in the sugar [as sugar burns easily] and stir for 2 minutes. Done :)
                  Ready for devouring!

                  Till my next post, xoxo, Ophelia
           

4 comments:

ilene said...

Ophelia by friend, thank you so very very much for this lovely dried prawn sambal! Thanks for your unselfish thoughts in sharing the recipe too.

Ophelia said...

Goooood morning, goooood morning. It was a great joy this morning when I saw I had a new Follower and double joy when it was you, my fren :) :) You are most welcome. Sorry not spicy enough for you. All the very very best for a better 2011 in your home as well as your career! Have a blast today too. God bless.

elaine said...

This dry sambal prawns reminds me of my childhood days. i remember making sandwich with the sambal. yummy...

Ophelia said...

Elaine this is indeed a lovely recipe for keeps :)