Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Man in a Hurry


           It was a busy morning at 8.30 a.m. when an elderly gentleman in his 80s arrived to have stitches removed from his thumb.  He said he was in a hurry as he had an appointment at 9 a.m.

          I took his vitals signs and had him take a seat, knowing it would be over an hour before someone would be able to see him.  I saw him looking at his watch and decided that since I was not busy with another patient, I would inspect his wound.  On inspection, it was well healed so I talked to one of the doctors, got the needed supplies to remove his sutures and redressed his wound.

         While taking care of his wound, I asked him whether he had another doctor appointment as he was, apparently, in such a hurry.  The gentleman told me, no but he needed to go to the nursing home to eat breakfast with his wife.  I enquired as to her health.

         He told me that she has been there for quite a while as she was a victim of Alzheimer's disease and as we talked I asked him if she would be upset if he was a bit late.  He replied that she no longer knew who he was, that she had not recognized him in five years now.

         I was surprised and asked him, "And you still go there every morning, even though she doesn't know who you are?

        He smiled as he patted my hand and said, "She doesn't know me but I still know who she is".  I had to hold back my tears as he left, I had goose bumps on my arms and thought, " This is the kind of Love that I want in my life.  True love is neither physical nor romantic.  True love is an acceptance of All That Is, Has Been, Will Be and Will Not Be.  It made me reflect that the happiest person doesn't necessarily have the best of everything, They just make the Best of Everything they have.  Life is not about how to survive a storm But how to dance in the rain.  We are all getting older, tomorrow may be our turn.  Enjoy and appreciate Life now, everything has an expiry date!!! 

                    A very touching email that I have read in a very long time.  Till my next post, xoxo, Ophelia

No comments: