900 gm Prawns, shelled
1 1/2 teasp Salt
1/2 Tabsp Sugar
2 Egg Whites
1 teasp Baking Powder, sieved
100 gm Tapioca Flour, sieved
1 Tabsp All Purpose Flour/Tepung Gandung, sieved
2 ripe Avacardo
Wasabi [amount to your taste]
5 Tabsp Mayonaise
2 Tabsp Black Sesame seeds, toasted
- Buy 900 gms of medium size prawns. Remove shells but leave tails on for presentation purposes and you would probably get a nett weight of 600 gm prawns which is what is required in this recipe.
- Toast the Black Sesame seeds in a pan/kuali without oil for 3 -5 mins till fragrant and take care, this burns easily. This step can be done a few days earlier. Cool completely then put in an air tight container :)
- As for the Avacardo [there is a seed in this fruit. To cut the fruit use a knife and cut
- Mix well ingredients "A" & deep fry till golden brown. Remove to paper kitchen towel to remove excess oil. Place on a platter.
- Mix well ingredient "B". Put onto of the fried prawns.
A ripe Avacardo has a black skin & is relatively firm but will yield to a gentle squeeze. If you need assistance tell your fruit grocer that you want to purchase ripe Avacardo. Colour is, not always trusted to determine ripe Avacardo.
If you plan to eat immediately buy ripe Avacardo that has a black skin but if you want to buy them a few days before you want to use them, you buy them when they are hard and do not yield to squeezing then just put them out in a cool place and wait for them to ripe. But if you want them to get ripe faster; a good trick is to place them in a brown paper bag and putting an apple together with them speeden the process even more.
Once you cut them you would want to eat them as quickly as possible as they brown easily when exposed to the air even if refrigerated. You can then skim off the brown parts from the surface and make use of the rest. A good point to also take note is to squeeze a little lemon juice on the cut Avacardo.
Avoid Avacardo with cracked skin and soft spots.
Enjoy till my next post, xoxo, Ophelia