Total Pageviews

Friday, January 14, 2011

Baked Tapioca Cake

             Being away from home esp in a foreign land or when mum's not around, one yearns to eat things that mum used to make or things one can easily find back home and even if we can find same, it is somehow not the same from what mum used to make or from the local fare so much so that sometime when we do find the time, we make it ourselves.  Well this recipe is especially for those times when you may wish to indulgence in a homemade kuih and for those of you, whose mum are not round :( let me be your "substitute" mum in blogsphire for a while, it would be an immense pleasure on my part and may you find something in my blog that your mum may have cooked albeit it may not entirely be the same but at least it is better to have some form of reference :) as sometimes in our everlasting quest to carve a career for ourselves, we tend to forget to minute down mum's signature dishes and I hope that I can be of some aid :) Ophelia

                                                   Baked Tapioca cake

          Ingredients

             2 "A"             *Eggs
             1 kg                 Tapioca, grated & put on a siever
        100 gm                 Freshly grated Coconut
        250 ml                  Fresh Santan OR UHT Coconut milk extract
        300 gm                Gula Melacca, chopped + 60 ml water boil over low heat
                                                   till dissolved then strain
           80 ml                Melted Butter
           60 gm               Tapioca Flour, sieved
             1 teasp           Baking Powder, sieved
          1/4 teasp           Fine Salt

             Note:- 
                                (a)  Nett weight of Tapioca, after removing the skin & the thick fibre in the centre is 1 kg.
                               (b)  After grating the Tapioca, put it on a siever for 2 - 3 hours.  Place it in a bowl and then throw the yellow water but retain the tapioca starch.  Put the tapioca starch in the bowl together with the grated tapioca.

                                 (c) For vistiors in my blog, welcome to my blog, just a note of interest.  Back home in Malaysia our eggs are graded as "AA", "A", "B", "C" & "D".  An "A" egg is approximately 55 ml so for this recipe you need 110 ml eggs.

                                (d)  Lastly again for the benefit of those overseas, if you do not have Gula Melacca, do not despair, Just Substitute with 180 gm Castor Sugar And OMIT the water & boiling part. 

          Method

            (a)  Prep work :- Grease the sides & bottom of a 9" or 10" square tin, line the base with a grease
                   proof paper & then grease the grease proof paper.

            (b)  Preheat the oven at 200 degrees Centigrade for 15 minutes.

  1. Beat eggs [and castor sugar if Gula Melacca is omitted] till thick.  Please read carefully and Dont accidentally add castor sugar and gula melacca solution!!! I am just giving you an alternative :)
  2. Add the grated tapioca, grated coconut, santan, gula melacca solution & melted butter, stir.
  3. Add in the sieved tapioca flour, baking powder & fine salt. Stir gently with a spatula till combined.
  4. Pour mixture in the prepared tin.
  5. Bake in the preheated oven at 200 degrees centigrade for 30 minutes.  Then REDUCE temperature to 180 degrees centrigrade and bake for an hour Or till firm in the Centre & brown.
  6. Remove from oven & Cool completely in tin before cutting.
                 Tips:

                         (a)  Do not forget to change the temperature at the time stated above.  TOTAL BAKING TIME approximately 90 minutes.
                         (b)  If you after baking for 70 minutes that the top is getting too brown [as the temperature of everyone's oven is slightly diff and you have to know your oven well] cover the top with a foil & let the Shinny part of the foil be on top as:-

                                    (i)  Shinny surface of foil REFLECTS heat;
                                   (ii)  Matt surface of foil RETAINS heat.

                          For me, I always take alot of notes during my class, things that are "silent" in a recipe and can only be gleamed when one pays alot of attention during class and then when I come back, I will type the recipe, with my notes incorporated at the relevant points.  That is why I always TRY to refrain from talking during the demo as sometimes we pay Mega Bucks for the class and if my fellow fren tries to "engage" me in talking, she will find me putting my finger to my point and will Not take offence as she knows that she can get a typed copy of same from me as some of them Do Not seem to appreciate the Value of typing your own notes.  Of course as a curtesy I would give email to them but it would have been better if it was their own notes and not mine as they would probably understand their own notes better And that is why when I am posting all these on my blog, I Also incorporate my notes with the recipe so that you too Would Benefit from same.  Do try them and ppl I would Really Appreciate if you could also give some comments or feed back in my blog as sometimes "One Way Traffic" is rather "Lonely" :(

                           God bless.  Till my next post, xoxo, Ophelia
          

No comments: