150 gm Wanton skin, cut into stripes
250 gm Prawns ["Mah Har"/Sea Prawns], blend finely
1/2 teasp Salt
1/2 teasp Sesame Oil
1/4 teasp V'sin, opt
1/8 teasp White Pepper powder
7 gm Castor Sugar approximately 1/2 Tabsp
1 stalk Spring Onion Or Yin Sai/Corriander leaves, chopped
1 1/2 Tabsp Corn flour
- Mix well all the seasoning in a small bowl.
- After washing the prawns dry it well with a cloth kitchen towel.
- Blend the prawns finely.
- Add the seasoning to the prawn paste.
- Shape the prawn paste into small, uniform balls with the aid of a spoon.
- In a kuali heat oil for deep frying.
- Coat the prawn balls with the striped wanton skin.
- Tip courtesy of my Chef of course - if you want to know whether the oil is hot enough put a chopstick into the oil. If oil is hot you will see alot of small bubbles around chopstick.
- Fry the prawn balls in batchs. Another tip - As soon as you put in the prawn balls, reduce the fire to medium low as you dont want the outside to cook; of course prawns cook very fast too, so as soon as you see that they are golden brown, increase the fire to high then take out the prawn balls with a siever and place on paper kitchen towels to absorb excess oil. [The trick here also is whenever you deep fry, oil hot, put in whatever meat, then reduce fire and once cooked; increase fire to high then remove them as if fire is still medium more oil is absorbed in the meat :) :)
Cross Reference - See my Prawn Fritters recipe for 2 types of Chilli.
Till my next post, xoxo, Ophelia.