120 ml Ground nut Oil
3 Shallots/small onions, slice
1" Ginger, smash
Method for Fragrant Oil
Fry the shallots & ginger in the hot oil. Strain, cool it completely.
Ingredients for fish paste
600 gm Ikan Tenggiri, nett weight after removal of skin & bones
1/2 teasp Ground white pepper
2 teasp Salt
1 teasp seasoning, opt
1 Tabsp Castor sugar
160 ml Ice cold water
40 gm Tapioca Flour, sieved
1/2 Egg white, beaten
Method for fish paste
- Wash fish then dry with paper kitchen towel. Remove meat with the aid of a spoon.
- In a bowl put the meat, salt, sugar, white pepper powder, seasoning, opt & manually knead & mix, always going in one direction only. Do not over knead.
- Mix sieved Tapioca flour with the ice cold water. Then add in the beaten egg white [rem to only use 1/2 an egg white only]
- Add tapioca flour water solution slowly into the fish mixture and mix in going round & lifting & banging into the bowl a couple of times & mix till it becomes guey & smooth [Most important Cannot over knead]. (A test for smoothness is squeeze a small ball of the mixture between your forefinger & thumb).
- Warm up 40 ml fragrant oil for 20 second [warm, it is easier to mix] add a drop of sesame oil if you want [do not add more sesame oil; a little goes a long way :) ].
- Add the slightly warm fragrant oil into the fish paste & mix.
(a) You can add a little chilli padi & minced garlic.
(b) You can add it into soup or it can be deep fried; for deep fried see steps below.
Deep fried Fish Cake
600 gm Fish Paste
400 gm Wantan Skin
5 Fresh Red Chilli
5 gm Garlic
5 gm Spring Onion
Method for Deed Fried Fish Cake
- Cut wantan skin into round circles.
- Cut either WAX paper Or banana leaf & place them in bamboo basketS. If using banana leaf grease the banana leaf slightly with oil for easy removal.
- Chop the garlic, red chilli & spring onion.
- Add it to the prepared Fish Paste.
- In the meantime boil water in a steamer.
- Put a ball of fish paste in the centre of each wantan skin.
- Place another wantan skin on top & then flatten it.
- Place them in the prepared bamboo baskets.
- Steam over for 3 minutes only. Take them out & cool.
- Pat the top & bottom with a little tapioca flour & deep fry in medium hot oil for 1 minute.
- Remove and place on paper kitchen towels to drain excess oil.
Till my next post, xoxo, Ophelia