Total Pageviews

Friday, January 14, 2011

Nyonya Brinjals, Non Halal

            Welcome Ohor/Ophelia for dropping by my Blog yesterday, glad to meet another person with the same name as me.  Wish you all the success in your restaurant.  God bless.  Ophelia.

            This dish is, absolutely, appertising when eaten as a side dish with rice, of course and you can make it at a drop of the hat, so easy and yet so delicious.  I am sure your grand mothers, mothers have made this, I know my granny did!!! The only diff she probably didnt do was to measure them, it probably would have been a little of this, a little of that, then cuba ok or not, otherwise tambar gula, garam, assam; whatever but me; I love cooking, and as all these are things we have learnt, when the results are Always consistent; no hit and run case; today sedap; masak lagi 2 weeks time, ai yoh, tak sama lah then you will hear better half or yr children say, "Not the same lah"!!! [Pardon the lingo if you are a visitor from a foreign land :) it would be good to try this too if you are looking for something exotic for your taste bud.  This is a dish that we, Malaysians, eat as a side dish with rice :)] Ok now to get down to business, haha.

                                                   Nyonya Brinjals

          "A"

          500 gm          Purple Brinjals
              3 Tabsp     Oil

          "B"

          2 Tabsp         Bean Paste/Tau Cheong
          2                    Fresh Red Chilli
          4                    Chilli Padi
          5 pips            Garlic
          3 Tabsp         Fried Pork Lard ["this is the "ooom" factor]
          3                     Limau Perut leaves, remove vein & shred finely [for aroma]
                                 [you would prob want to know why remove the veins? Well we were told by
                                  our Chef that it taste "bitter" haha so I always do "what I am told"]

          "C"

          1 Tabsp               Assam Jawa mix with 2 Tabsp water
          1/4 cup                Water
          1 - 1 1/2 Tabsp    Sugar [your choice for me I used 1 1/2 Tabsp :) ]
          1 1/2 Tabsp          Light Soya Sauce

          For Garnishing [for more visual effect :)]

          Freshly fried shallots/small onions
          Spring Onion, diced
          Red Chille, sliced

               Method
  1. Pan fry the brinjals on low fire with a little oil and press the brinjals with the laddle while frying to help them cook faster.  Remove and place on paper kitchen towel to absorb excess oil. Then plate them.
  2. Heat 3 Tabsp oil in wok then add the chill, garlic and bean paste/tau cheong on low fire as garlic and tau cheong burns easily, stirring all the time, then add in "C".  Bring it to boil stirring occasionally.
  3. Add in the pre fried pork lard and limau perut leaves, stir for a while.
  4. Pour No.3 onto the plated brinjals & then scatter the garnishing.

              Till my next post, xoxo, Ophelia

1 comment:

ohor said...

Hi!
Imagine my astonishment when i entered this page, & lo & behold, saw my name on a cake spot on!
YES! I'm OPhelia too, running a peranakan restaurant in PJ (i make pie tees too) so can u figure out how much desire i have in making your acquaintance?
LOL The sentence "cooking with ophelia" rings true to my heart.
Pls do call me @ 016-335 9768 or 03-7875 3396 & of coz the name applies. We need to talk shop & perhaps u can help me set up a site for my restaurant. I absolutely suck at it!
Thx & hoping to hear from u soon.