Crispy Fried Prawns
600 gm Medium size prawns
A few tricks I learnt from the Chef:- 1. After removing the shell, make 3 slight slits on the underside of the prawns. This "allow" the prawns to be straight when frying and allows the prawn to appear longer. 2. Retain the shells you can make a great stock with some Miropiox for a Seafood Chowder, Seafood Bisque Pasta. 3. Lastly but certainly not the least, when you want to fry something "prawny" eg some veg, you can fry the shells with the oil to enhance the aroma and taste of your mixed vegetables.
Remove the shell & the head of the prawns but do retain the tails as they add a bit more glamour when you are serving your food for the family, almost like eating at a restaurant. Make a small slit from one end of the prawn to the other, remove the dirt along the slit. Wash & dry them well. Then make 3 small slits on the underside of the prawns. Place the prawns in a bowl. Put the following in a bowl:-
1 teasp Salt
1/4 teasp Ajinomoto, opt
1/2 teasp Castor Sugar
1/4 teasp Ground White Pepper
1/2 Tabsp Egg White [whisk this till foamy]
1 Tabsp Corn Flour, sieved
mix this seasoning well & marinade with the prawns. Then add in 1/2 Tabsp Peanut Oil, mix it well, cling film & refrigerate for 15 minutes.
180 gm Self Raising Flour ]
120 gm Rice Flour ] sieve these
2 teasp Double Action Baking Powder ] 3 together
300 ml Water
2 Tabsp Oil
Method for Batter
- Put the sieved flour mixture in a big bowl. Sprinkle the salt to this mixture, using a whisk stir same so that the salt is well incorporated in the mixture.
- Add in the water gradually & using the whisk stir it well short while till you have a smooth batter.
- Add in the oil & stir it short while.
- Heat oil in wok. Before dipping the prawn in the batter, give it a small stir, dip the prawns into the batter and then deep fry till prawns are golden brown & crispy.
- Remove from fire & place on paper kitchen towels.