(a) a flavoured base and in the recipe I am using a Pastry Cream flavoured with Lemon Zest &
Lemon juice; and
(b) Egg whites which should be beaten to a soft peak stage and to know whether it is at a soft
peak stage, after beating the whites for a short while, lift up the beater, the tip of the beaten
egg whites/meringue should curl. If you beat the egg whites too long it will be dry. A few
things to look out for those who are "new" in the baking game and to get a perfect meringue:-
(i) There should not be even a drop of egg yolks in the egg whites;
(ii) All utensils used ie bowl, whisk should be clean & dry & should not be oily;
(iii) Begin by whisking the egg whites for 2 - 3 minutes then when it begins to be
frothy you can add a little Castor Sugar OR Cream of Tartar & continue to
whisk until soft peak.
Finally, a word of advice when folding the egg whites into the pastry cream do not fold too long otherwise the air bubles in the beaten egg whites "will be lost" and Souffles are, best, baked in ramekins.
You have to first prepare the Pastry Cream then only can you proceed to do the Lemon Souffle. Ophelia
Ingredients for Pastry Cream
65 gm Castor Sugar
65 gm All Purpose Flour/Tepung Gandung, sieved
2 Egg Yokes
1 whole Egg
95 ml UHT Milk
1/4 Vanilli bean OR 1/2 teasp Butta Vanilla/Vanilla
100 ml UHT milk
33 gm Butter
Method for Pastry Cream
- Combine 32 gm of Castor Sugar [ie half of the total amount of sugar mentioned above], all the flour, 2 egg yolk & 1 whole egg in a bowl. Whisk it manually together to a smooth consistency. Set aside.
- Mix 33 gm of Castor Sugar [the balance of the sugar mentioned above] into 95 ml of milk & boil same with the Vanilla bean; stirring all the while till the sugar melts then lower fire to medium low & simmer for 2 minutes. Remove the vanilla bean.
- Temper the egg mixture i.e. No.1 above with the hot milk i.e. add a little hot milk first to the egg mixture, stir it then gradually mix the rest of the hot milk [this is called "Tempering" if you were to put in all the hot milk at once, the egg mixture will curdle & you wont have a smooth consistency].
- Return the egg & milk mixture to the stove & cook over a slow medium heat for 2 - 3 minutes till this custard is smooth [tip insert the back of a metal spoon into this custard and see whether you can draw an "unbroken" line. If you have achieved this, you would have a perfect custard].
- Remove from fire & immediately add in the butter & the 100 ml of UHT milk & stir till a smooth consistency. Let this pastry cream cool & sprinkle the surface with a little sugar to prevent a skin formation & SET ASIDE. If there is a skin formation just stir same when using it.
Ingredient for Lemon Souffle
240 gm *Pastry Cream [which you made in Step 1 above]
2 Tabsp Lemon Juice
Lemon Zest from 2 lemons
8 Egg Whites
1/4 teasp Cream of Tartar
Soften butter & some castor sugar for brushing on ramekins
Method for Lemon Souffle
- First prepare the ramekins by brushing some butter on sides & bottom of ramekins. Then sprinke some castor sugar.
- Preheat oven at 205 degrees Centigrade.
- Combine the 240 gm Pastry Cream with the lemon zet & lemon juice & stir till smooth &soften.
- Beat the Egg Whites for 1 - 2 minutes till frothy then add in the Cream of Tartar [Cream of Tartar is for stablishing the egg whites] & continue to beat till soft peak [short while. Cannot overbeat].
- Fold the beaten egg whites into the pastry cream in 2 stages [do not fold too long] then pour into the prepared ramikens half full as the souffle will rise over the top.
- Sprinkle a little sugar on top and then quickly wipe of the sugar off the rim of the ramekins otherwise souffle wont rise properly.
- Place the ramekins on a pan then pour some hot water in the pan [this is called "bain marie"] & bake in a preheated oven at 205 degrees Centigrade until the souffle has rises and its top is golden brown. Serve at once. Sit back & enjoy.
Till my next post, xoxo, Ophelia.