Total Pageviews

Friday, March 11, 2011

The Advantages of making Stock

                  I thought that I should blog on this as I am a great believer of Stocks and they are very versatile and takes you to another, whole new, level.  Many Chef advocate the advantages of preparing your own stock as it is simple and we get to reap the benefits as it adds dimension to your recipe repertoire and they are so many kinds of stock; chicken, lamb, veal, pork, vegetables and adding stock in your dish gives an extra depth of flavour.

                 It has always been drummed into our heads to make our own stock; be it meat stock or a vegetable stock and if you take it a step further by first roasting the bones and the Mirepiox/Vegetables and THEN you make the stock with the roasted bones & veg and all the drippings on the tray as the drippings are THE power house.  When I last made my stock, I also added Ripe but FIRM nectarine as the fragrance of a nectarine is to die for and it does give a fruity flavour and aroma to the stock. The reason why I like to roast the bones and vegetables before boiling and subsequently simmering the stock is that the colour of this stock is a deeper brown and definitely more tasty and if you just make the stock without roasting then the colour is a light brown.


Ingredients for my stock with a nectarine


.... and the chicken wings

                       Ingredients for making a Chicken Stock
                       "A"

                          6                       Chicken Wings
                      100 gm                 Big Onion
                        50 gm                  Carrot
                        50 gm                  Celery
                        50 gm                   Leek
                           1                        Nectarine, opt
                 
                       "B"

                           2 Litres             Water

                         Method

                     PRE HEAT oven at 130 degrees Centigrade for 15 minutes
  1. Lay the matt surface of a foil on a tray [matt surface of the foil Retains heat while shinny surface Reflects heat.  This tip is very useful especially when baking cakes].  Place "A" on the tray and bake for 1 hour in a pre heated oven at 130 degrees Centigrade.
  2. Remove & place the roasted ingredients in a big pot, scraping any residue & placing them in the pot too as this residue is the ump factor.  Add the 2 litres of water & bring stock to a boil.  Once it starts boiling Reduce to MEDIUM Fire & simmer for 1 1/2 hours; skimming the surface for scum/impurities.  Strain & cool completely before storing in freezer in Either small containers.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                 The last time I made my own sausages, I grilled some for dinner and after removing the sausages, I deglaze the pan by adding a little of the stock I made and then I jazzed the sauce with a little butter and thicken it slightly with a little corn flour & then I poured it on the sausages and served with fried Potato chips and a Prawn Salad with a Coriander & Lime Dressing.  Yum to both the sausages and the Prawn Salad recipe is in my blog.




The sausage and burgers I made


                              Till my next post, xoxo, Ophelia

No comments: