Ingredients for Ayam Percik
5 whole Chicken legs
5 Tabsp Oil
200 ml Santan
200 ml Water
3 Tabsp +- Sugar
1 teasp Salt
Blend the following
150 gm Shallots/small onions
75 gm Garlic
5 Chilli Padi
1" thick piece Lengkuas
3 stalks Lemon Grass/Serai
1/2 inch Fresh Kunyit
2 Buah Keras
1 Tabsp Ketumbar powder
1 Tabsp Kurma Powder
3 Tabsp Chilli Boh
- As the Lengkuas, Serai, Fresh Kunyit & Buah Keras are hard, it would be good if you could pound them first. Then blend the pounded ingredients together with the shallots, garlic & chilli padi and blend all these till very fine. Remove.
- Mix the blended ingredients with the Ketumbar powder, Kurma powder & Chilli Boh.
- Slit a little in the centre of Chicken leg then pull it straight in order to loosen muscles :) Put chicken in the Fridge.
- Heat the oil mentioned above & fry No.2 on Medium Low Fire stirring till fragrant & oil separates. Add in sugar [start off with 1 Tabsp as some of you, Ilene this is with you in mind :) may want it spicer and May do Away with Sugar completely, the choice is yours] & salt, stir.
- Add in the water & santan & bring it to a boil. Check for Taste; topping salt & sugar if necessary. COOL THIS COMPLETELY BEFORE ADDING ON CHICKEN.
- Put chicken in a tupperware/container. Add the rempah on the chicken & mix it well, cover with lid or seal it with cling wrap & let it marinade in the Fridge for 4 hours. If you are Rajin, it would be good after 2 hours to take them out, give them another good mix & refrigerate for the remaining 2 hours.
- Remove chicken from fridge & THAW it for 25 minutes.
- PREHEAT oven at 200 degrees celcius for 20 minutes.
- Place a foil [makes cleaning up a breeze!!!] on a tray & place the thawed marinaded chicken & bake in the preheated oven +- 10 - 15 minutes on Each side & then grill for perhaps 3 - 5 minutes to get a charred effect and as everyone's oven temp is not the same as mine, the timing and temperature I leave it to you to figure out as the above is Just a guide as primarily, you got to know your own oven :) and you have to baste the chicken too with some oil or a little of the let over marinade.
Till my next post, xoxo, Ophelia.