At last I have pix of this dish :) Had this for dinner last nite. This is my Aunt's recipe, it has all the pre-requisites of an appertising dish. Sweet and sour. Thank you so much Aunty Lily. Love you.
Ingredients for Babi Assam
600 gm Belly Pork, slice them
30 Dried Chillies, remove seeds not the sac. Soak in hot water
5 Buah Keras
100 gm Shallots/Small Onions
1 1/2 inch Fresh Kunyit
20 gm Lengkuas
4 Tabsp Assam Jawa mix with 1 1/2 cups Water
Salt & Sugar to taste
2 stalks Serai, slice
3 pips Garlic, slice
30 gm Shallot/small onions, slice
2 Fresh Red Chilli, slice
- As the Kunyit, Lengkuas & Buah Keras are naturally hard, pound them slightly first then mix it with the rest of "A" & blend until very fine.
- Heat adequate oil in wok & fry the blended ingredients till fragrant & pecak minyak. Add in the pork belly & stir fry for 3 minutes to allow the rempah to infuse the meat.
- Add in the Assam Jawa water mixture & bring it to a boil.
- Then reduce fire to medium low, ADD sugar & salt & simmer for 30 minutes or until meat is cooked. Check for taste.
- Meanwhile in a Different wok fry all the Garnish ingredients SEPARATELY for a few minutes. DISH out.
- When the Babi Assam is ready, sprinkle the fried garnish on top.
And now I can lay a bet that if most Non Malays who tries this, will find that this dish is really fantastic in terms of taste and a real appertiser. I can just eat this alone with hot rice and my craving for food would be satisfied. When my Aunt first made this for my family to eat, my hubby was completely blown away as he loves to eat sweet, sourish dish and I was too blown away. Finally the garnish on top makes it look lovely too.
Till my next post, xoxo, Ophelia