600 gm whole chicken leg, debone
5 - 10 Dried Chillies, wash & cut into two
1 Star Anise [just pluck off 2 - 3 as quite strong]
2 Spring Onion bulb [discard leaves]
100 gm Cashew Nuts, fried
Marinade chicken with the following
1/2 Tabsp Light Soya Sauce
1 Tabsp Water
1 1/2 teasp Sugar
1 teasp Sesame Oil
1/8 teasp White Pepper powder
1 Tabsp Corn flour
Marinade the chicken, cling wrap & put in the Fridge for 30 minutes.
150 ml Water
1/8 teasp Salt
1 Tabsp Sugar
1 Tabsp Black Soy Sauce
2 Tabsp Light Soya Sauce
1 Tabsp Oyster Sauce
1 Tabsp Corn Flour
- Marinade chicken for 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Remove chicken & thaw for 15 minutes.
- You can either fry the cashew nuts with or without oil, till golden brown. Dish out.
- Heat a wok till hot. Pour sufficient oil in the wok & immediately put in the marinaded chicken [theorically speaking, oil must be enough to cover the chicken] give it a quick stir, then dish out & drain oil well from chicken. We were told that this is the way most Chinese Chefs do to make the meat Tender.
- Heat wok with 2 Tabsp oil, fry the dried chillies & star anise for a short while then add in the chicken meat & half the portion of the seasoning [stir seasoning first to incorporate the corn flour well].
- Add the spring onion bulbs then the balance of the seasoning & bring to a boil. Check for taste, adjusting salt & sugar if necessary.
- Sprinkle the fried cashew nut. Dish out.