We start off by making the Gula Melaka Syrup & the Coconut milk extract.
Ingredients for the Gula Melaka Syrup
600 gm Palm Sugar [the best is from Malacca]
90 gm Brown Sugar
50 gm Molasses
1/4 teasp Fine Salt
250 ml Water
6 Pandan leaves
Method for Syrup
- Wash the Pandan Leaves. Shred each Pandan leaf into a few vertical "lines" but not entirely to both ends & then knot it. Shredding it into many pieces enables it to release more aroma during cooking.
- Combine all the above ingredients in a heavy base saucepan. Bring it to boil over low medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Strain & set aside.
Ingredient for Coconut milk extract
500 ml UHT coconut milk extract [from a cartoon]
250 ml Cooled boiled Water
1/2 teasp Salt
Combine the UHT coconut milk extract, water & salt.
Ingredients for Cendol
30 Pandan leaves, cut into small pieces
550 ml Water [cooled boiled water]
1/4 teasp Fine Salt
120 ml Fresh Santan
1 teasp Alkaline Water
170 gm Tepung Hoen Kwe [which is green colour]
60 gm Green Pea Flour
375 ml Second extract of Pandan juice.
In the method below you will need:-
(a) a hand whisk;
(b) a wooden rolling pin;
(c) a mould to press out the Cendol;
(d) a Big Basin of ICE COLD WATER & put ice cubes in the water.
Method for Cendol
- Blend the cut pandan leaves with 550 ml water [which has been boiled & cooled completely] in a processor until fine pulp & strain twice to get a clear pandan juice [a tip which I saw the Chef doing was straining this liquid over 2 sievers with very small holes [putting 2 sievers enable you to get a purer pandan juice. Do this step twice] Pour into a BIG POT & set aside. This is the 550 ml first Pandan Juice extract.
- Use the same pandan leaves pulp in No.1 here & mix with 375 ml Water [follow the same procedure as No.1 ie over 2 sievers .....] Pour into Another bowl & set aside. This is the 375 ml Second extract of Pandan juice.
- Mix the Green Pea Powder with the 375 ml Second extract of Pandan Juice & mix it with a whisk. When this mixture is smoothly incorporated add in the Alkaline water & mix with the whisk. Strain this & then cover it with a cling film & set it aside for 30 minutes [in order to get rid of the smell & also to break down the flour.
- Pour the Green Pea mixture into the 550 ml first Pandan Juice extract which is in a big pot. Stir with a wooden spoon until combined. Place over medium heat stirring with a Hand Whisk CONTINUOUSLY until mixture thickens THEN Reduce heat & now stir with a WOODEN ROLLING PIN instead of a hand whisk as the mixture is thicker & very hard to use a hand whisk. Continue to stir with the Wooden rolling pin Until Mixture Becomes Translucent. REMOVE from fire.
- Fill this mixture into a mould & press out mixture into a Basin of ICE COLD WATER.
- Drain cendol completely, Chill until ready to eat.
(i) Alkaline water is used to make the colour stay & to make the Cendol bouncy;
(ii) No regrets learning this as very delicious;
(iii) The Gula Melaka Syrup - You should really use
good Palm Sugar from Malacca & what the Chef used
is 4 cylinderal palm sugars in a packet. I have some
in my fridge but dare not upload picture of same as earlier
when I uploaded the picture of Molasses in another
post as I was afraid visitors visiting my blog may not know
what Molasses is, my picture of the Molasses which was of
course in its original container, some dept cited that picture
of the Molasses for copy right. I had no idea of same
I was just genuninely trying to show what Molasses was
when I uploaded my recipe for my Mini Coconut buns
and when I saw that, I quickly deleted the picture 1 day
after I uploaded the recipe when I saw the copy right
stuff. I meant NO Offence only to show ppl what Molasses
was and I was so upset after that, I contemplated deleting
my blog. It is so sad when No Malice was intended on my
part; just PLAIN Naive. Still thinking of deleting blog ...
Sorry for this swing into a morose state as, aside from my immediate family and of course I have made copies for my children, for the past 20 odd years my whole world REVOLVED on my PASSION for BAKING & Cooking and I wanted to teach others so that all these recipes Would NOT DIE with me when I die as I really believe that my CALL from God is to impart what little knowledge I have. It is sort of my legacy to whoever wants to learn from my blog and I am real sorry for being morose here and I think, it must be the lack of estrogen.
Till my next post, xoxo, Ophelia