2 cups Brasmati Rice
3 1/2 cups Hot water
3 Tabsp Oil
1 cup Frozen Green Peas [thaws very fast]
Cashew nuts, fried without oil
Salt to taste
1/2 inch Cinnamon Bark/Kayu Manis
4 Cardomans [wash, dry well & slit slightly at the bottom]
1/2 teasp Jintan Putih Seeds/Cumin [wash, place on strainer to dry well]
- Wash the Brasmati Rice gently as the grains break easily. Soak for 20 minutes Only then place on a siever to drain completely approximately 2 - 3 hours; use a spoon to stir it to encourage the water to drain faster.
- Place 3 Tabsp Oil in a Large 5 Ply POT & saute the Spices till aromatic on Very LOW heat in order for the aroma to be released.
- Add in the drained rice & green peas & stir gently to coat the rice and in order NOT to break the grains.
- Add in 3 1/2 cups HOT water, Increase Fire to High & let water come to A BOIL. ONCE IT COMES TO A BOIL REDUCE FIRE TO MEDIUM & COVER THE POT ENTIRELY TILL ALMOST ALL THE LIQUID HAS BEEN EVAPORATED [NOTE: THAT THE RICE IS STILL MOIST AND NOT COOKED COMPLETELY.
- AT THIS STAGE *REDUCE THE FIRE TO LOW & CONTINUE TO COOK ON LOW HEAT FOR ANOTHER 10 MINUTES THEN SWITCH OFF THE FIRE BUT DO NOT OPEN THE COVER IN ORDER FOR THE RICE TO "STILL" COOK IN THE "CONTAINED" HEAT.
- Scatter the toasted Cashew nut before eating.
On a last note some of you might say, so mah fun, cook it in a rice pot. The thing is if you cook in a rice pot, the grains are not as "large" as when you cook this way. You only need to make sure if you dont have a heat diffuser that it does not get burnt. May I make a suggestion Maybe at Stage 5, you place a 5 Ply Frying Pan on the fire then place your 5 ply pot on top of the frying pan this way the heat would not be so direct. 5 ply pot/frying pan is better as the base is THICKER.
Till my next post, xoxo, Ophelia