Ingredients for Otak Otak
300 gm *Fish, remove bones & skin
6 Dried Chillies
1 Fresh Red Chilli
1 stalk Serai, cut 8 cm from the base, slice
1 cm Lengkuas
1 cm Fresh Kunyit,
2 Buah Keras
1 teasp Belacan
6 Small Onions
2 pips Garlic
125 ml Fresh Santan
1 level teasp Sugar
1/2 level teasp Salt
1/4 level teasp fresh ground Black Pepper
3 Daun Limau Perut
10 "Wild Betel" leaves aka Daun Kaduk
1 frond Banana Leaf
- Soften the Banana Leaf over a gas flame for a few seconds for easy managing.
- Cut fish into 1 cm slices. Cover with cling film & refrigerate till ready to use.
- Boil water in a steamer.
- Pound slightly the Serai, Lengkuas, Buah Keras & Kunyit. Place them in a Processor together with the dried chilli, fresh chilli, belacan, small onions, garlic & blend finely.
- Whisk the eggs lightly.
- Combine the blended rempah with the Santan, beaten eggs, sugar, salt, black pepper powder & the limau perut leaves.
- Otak Otak can be steamed either in banana leaf "boats", individual bowls or a single heat proof dish and whichever container you choose, line the base of it with Kaduk leaves, place the slices of fish on this and then pour the custard [called "custard" as it has eggs] over the fish.
- Place in a steamer & steam over gentle heat ie fire not very HIGH for 15 - 25 minutes depending on the size/depth of the container. Serve warm. Enjoy
The fish recommended is Lemon Sole, Red Snapper, Garoupa or Tenggiri. It was lovely.