Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Ready made Puff Pastry Shells with Oriental Duck Salad

                     When I learnt this in March 2001 and subsequently made it once for dinner, I thought that I would be able to come back full circle from what I have learnt and also from my normal Malaysian cooking but boy I have still not got round to doing it yet as too much on my plate besides my baking orders so I thought hell [sorry for this "4" word, lol] I paid so much learning baking and cooking might as well let other ppl try it :)  Of course when I did this recipe, I made my own Puff Pastry shell, which I must admit, presentation wise of the Puff Pastry shell was 6/10 compared to those you see in hotels as I didnt make a conscious effort to master the art of Puff Pastry like how I spend hours and hours on end on my cakes as I wanted to own it, I wanted people to remember me by, by my unconsumable Passion of my cakes, that was and Still is my dream!!!

                You can either buy the puff pastry shells, follow the instructions on the box for baking and then use this Oriental Duck Salad as the filling or you can use it on canapes and serve these as an appertiser for an intimate dinner for a small group :) Ophelia

                  Ingredients

                    12                              Puff Pastry shells

                 250 gm                          Duck meat
                 100 gm                          Combi of Red & Green Peppers
                 100 gm                          Cabbage, shredded
                 100 gm                           Big Onions
                      2 pips                        Garlic
                   20 gm                          Sesame seeds, toasted
                     2 teasp                       Honey
                     1 teasp                       Light Soya Sauce
                     1 Tabsp                      Shao Xing Wine
                                                       Salt & Pepper to taste
                                                       Dash of 5 Spice Powder
                                                       Dash of Sesame Oil
                                                       Mix Salad to garnish

                Method
  1. Fry the Sesame Seeds without oil till golden.
  2. Wash & trim of the fats from the duct meat.  Season with 5 Spice Powder, Dash of Salt & Pepper.
  3. Pan fry the duck meat to seal in the juices & finish cooking the duck in PRE heated oven at 200 degrees Centrigrade for about 8 - 10 minutes depending on the thickness of the meat.  Set aside to cool.  Then slice into strips.
  4. In a pan heat up 1 Tabsp cooking oil & saute the garlic & big onions until aromatic then add in the bell peppers, cabbage & duck.
  5. Saute for a while then add in the wine, honey.  Check for seasoning; adding salt & pepper if necessary.
  6. To serve, place a portion of duck salad into the baked puff pastry shells, sprinkle some toasted Sesame Seeds & served with the mix salad on the side.
                  For those of you, who want a shorter cut, buy roasted duck then follow the rest of the steps as we are fortunate to be in Malaysia, the land of plenty, where, almost in every crook and corner, we can find roasted duck but bear in mind that the roasted duck has already been seasoned, so you check out the seasoning here while cooking it with the veg.  Of course when I did it myself that one time long ago, I made it everything from scratch, from the puff pastry to the duck as that would not justify the amount of money I paid learning for more than 2 decades even now when I do stuff, I always take the long route and follow my recipes to the letter otherwise why go for my classes???

                     Till my next post, xoxo, Ophelia

No comments: