Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Chicken cooked with Tamarind paste/Assam Chicken

                     When my daughter's friend, Jas, came to our place for lunch, I cooked this dish as part of our lunch.  She loved it so much that she asked me to give her the recipe so that she can learn how to cook this for her husband. This is not something I learnt rather it was something that one of my Mother-in-Law's sister used to cook and again, of course, there was no actual measurements so a couple of years ago, I cooked this and armed with a pencil and pad on my kitchen counter, I recorded whatever and how much ingredient I used.  Then that Aunty taught me something revolutionary.  Normally, we would heat oil and then fry the rempah, chicken, etc and we have to be careful that the chicken do not get burnt as it would take a while for it to be cook & then, perhaps add a little water, this way the your dish is "watery" THIS recipe she taught me to, FIRST "boil" the marinated chicken till it is almost dry then only fry it with oil and I have to agree with her, doing it this way gives the dish more depth and flavour. So Jas this is in dedication to you.  Hope you have a nice time doing this for hubby.

                    Ingredients for Chicken cooked with Tamarind Paste

                     Pound/Blend Rempah
                      
                      1 1/2"             Ginger
                      1 1/2"             Fresh Kunyit
                       7 cloves        Garlic
                       3                     Lemon Grass/Serai
                       3                     small pieces Lengkuas
                       8                    Green Chilli Padi
                       2                    Red Chillies
                       4                    Limau Perut Leaves, remove centre vein always, as bitter

                      "A"

                          4                 whole Chicken Legs, chopped
                                             Suffiicient Water to boil chicken
                          3                 Big Onions
                          8 Tabsp     Oil
                    Big Handful   Assam Jawa mix with some water to get thick paste, then sieve
                       1/2 Tabsp     Sugar
                                              Salt to taste
                   Method
  1. Pound or blend the rempah till very fine. 
  2. Marinate the Chicken with the pounded rempah for 4 hours in the fridge.
  3. Remove the marinated chicken from fridge and thaw.
  4. Put the marinated chicken in a pot.  Add water [DONT want too much water.  Just enough to reach 3/4 the level of the chicken.  Cover pot & bring it to a boil first then REDUCE fire & let it simmer till almost dry; stirrying quite often.
  5. Heat 8 Tabsp oil in a frying pan then fry the Big Onions short while. If not enough oil add slightly more.
  6. Add in the chicken, stir then add in the Assam Jawa mixture, Sugar, Salt & bring to a boil. Check for taste, adjust Salt & more Sugar if necessary.

                 I am also very conscious when using oil esp when frying veg, egg etc BUT when it comes to frying rempah, there is no two ways about it.  There must be sufficient oil otherwise your rempah not good and if you want to ease your conscious, after cooking scoop out any excess oil and another big note is that food always taste better when the ingredients are pounded rather than blended.  I always try to pound esp when there is Fresh Kunyit, Lengkuas & Serai as it is very hard to blend them fine in a blender so I might as well pound everything and the one person who would be very happy is my better half as he always tells me that it taste better that way and there is a consolation, if I am busy or, psss the four letter word, lazy, he would be all too willing to pound it for me but more often than not, it would be me pounding same but just the tot that he is willing to pound for me, I am driven to do more for him :)            

                  Till my next post, xoxo, Ophelia

                     

2 comments:

Jasmine Ho said...

Aunty mummy, i cooked this the other day and Syed loved it... i guess i must have won his heart with my cooking hahahahahah thanks to your recipe that saved the day to be awarded a good wife who can cook.

Ophelia said...

I am indeed very happy dear and it is precisely why I created this Blog. My one desire was to share my timeless recipes to one and all, very esp to young ppl, so that I can touch their lives in a small way through my baking and cooking.