Ingredients for Chicken cooked with Tamarind Paste
1 1/2" Ginger
1 1/2" Fresh Kunyit
7 cloves Garlic
3 Lemon Grass/Serai
3 small pieces Lengkuas
8 Green Chilli Padi
2 Red Chillies
4 Limau Perut Leaves, remove centre vein always, as bitter
4 whole Chicken Legs, chopped
Suffiicient Water to boil chicken
3 Big Onions
8 Tabsp Oil
Big Handful Assam Jawa mix with some water to get thick paste, then sieve
1/2 Tabsp Sugar
Salt to taste
- Pound or blend the rempah till very fine.
- Marinate the Chicken with the pounded rempah for 4 hours in the fridge.
- Remove the marinated chicken from fridge and thaw.
- Put the marinated chicken in a pot. Add water [DONT want too much water. Just enough to reach 3/4 the level of the chicken. Cover pot & bring it to a boil first then REDUCE fire & let it simmer till almost dry; stirrying quite often.
- Heat 8 Tabsp oil in a frying pan then fry the Big Onions short while. If not enough oil add slightly more.
- Add in the chicken, stir then add in the Assam Jawa mixture, Sugar, Salt & bring to a boil. Check for taste, adjust Salt & more Sugar if necessary.
I am also very conscious when using oil esp when frying veg, egg etc BUT when it comes to frying rempah, there is no two ways about it. There must be sufficient oil otherwise your rempah not good and if you want to ease your conscious, after cooking scoop out any excess oil and another big note is that food always taste better when the ingredients are pounded rather than blended. I always try to pound esp when there is Fresh Kunyit, Lengkuas & Serai as it is very hard to blend them fine in a blender so I might as well pound everything and the one person who would be very happy is my better half as he always tells me that it taste better that way and there is a consolation, if I am busy or, psss the four letter word, lazy, he would be all too willing to pound it for me but more often than not, it would be me pounding same but just the tot that he is willing to pound for me, I am driven to do more for him :)
Till my next post, xoxo, Ophelia