I tried, on the spur of the moment to concoct making my own version of a curry without the use of Santan and as better half is an ardent believer that without santan, the curry wont have any kick, I made this "Santanless" curry with Belly meat and then served it with my Roti Jala 3 nites ago. After dinner I asked how was the curry and the response was in the affirmative and that's when I said that there was no santan at all in the curry. On hindsight I really wish I had addressed his penchant for santan a long time ago :( Ophelia
1 kg Belly meat/Chicken
5 Tabsp Meat Curry Powder
1/2 Tabsp Tumeric Powder/Kunyit Powder
1 Tabsp Red Chilli Powder
5 Shallots/small Onions
1 Cinnamon stick/Kayu Manis
2 pips Garlic
2 sprigs Curry Leaves
Water 1" higher than the level of meat
1 teasp Salt
1/2 teasp Maggi Concentrated Chicken Stock
1/2 teasp Fish Sauce
- Marinate "A" in the fridge for 1 hour.
- In the meantime fry "B" till golden brown. Remove onto plate. Retain oil in the frying pan.
- Remove chicken from fridge & thaw for 30 minutes.
- Use the oil in the same frying pan and add a little more oil if not enough, heat it & fry "C" [squeeze the curry leaves just before adding to the hot oil to release its aroma].
- Add in the thawed marinated chicken & stir fry for 3 minutes to seal the juice.
- Add in "D" and stir fry for 2 minutes for all the curry flavour to infuse in the potatoes & tomato.
- Add in "E" and the seasoning & cook on medium low fire till potates and chicken/belly pork are cooked approximately 25 minutes; bearing in mind chicken cooks faster than belly pork and make sure you dont over cook the chicken. Check for taste and adjust accordingly.
- Add in the fried shallots as a garnish.
Till my next post, xoxo, Ophelia