I learnt this special Mutton Paratal from a reknown Indian Chef. Hope you enjoy making same for your family.
Ingredients for Mutton Paratal
One and a half kg Mutton
2 teasp BLACK Soya Sauce
5 pips Garlic
1" young Ginger
7 Shallots/small Onions
3 small pieces Lengkuas
2 Green Chillies
5 Dried Chillies, wash, soak in hot water
2 Tabsp Ghee
1 Big Onion
1 Star Anise/Bunga Lawang
1" Cinnamon stick/Kayu Manis
1/2 teasp Fenegreek/Halba
1 1/2 teasp *Cumin seed/Jintan Manis
1/2 teasp Tumeric powder/Kunyit powder
5 Tabsp Meat Curry Powder
400 ml Second Santan [100 ml Thick Santan mix with 300 ml water]
100 ml Santan
A sprig of Curry leaves
- Blend "B" till fine.
- Marinade "A" with "B" for 15 minutes.
- Heat kwali with ghee, fry Big Onion short while then add "D" stir fry short while then add in "A" stir fry for 2 - 3 minutes then cover it & cook for 5 - 10 minutes, checking it so that it does not burn.
- Add in "E" stir, cover & cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in the 400 ml Second Santan, SALT & cook on medium low fire till almost dry.
- Add in 100 ml Santan, curry leaves [crush curry leaves just before adding in to release its aroma] & let it simmer on medium low fire till almost dry & oil rises & meat cooked.
- Curry leaves : we were taught in class to add the curry leaves towards the end of cooking time if you want a strong aroma and to crush it with the palm of yr hand just before throwing them in the pot; this way you will get a better waft;
- Ghee is clarified butter and when you cook Indian cuisine it is good to use ghee for an authetic taste.
- Sorry in respect of the 400 ml Second Santan, it should be 100 ml thick Santan mixed with 300 ml Water. When I first uploaded this recipe I typed "100 ml thick Santan mixed with 350 ml Water; typo error :(