6 Granny Smith Apples
3 - 4 Tablesp Castor Sugar
1/2 teasp ground Cinnamon or Ginger Bread Spice
40 gm Walnuts, chopped
150 gm Plain Flour, sieved
1/8 teasp *Salt, [use three quarters of the 1/8 teasp the first time and if you find
the salt is NOT enuf, next round use ALL the 1/8 teasp]
4 [level] Tablespoon Castor Sugar
100 gm COLD Butter [remove from fridge. Thaw for 15 minutes
then slice into long stripes]
- PREHEAT oven at 160 degrees Centrigrade for 15 minutes.
- Grease the baking dish/individual baking dish.
- Roughly chop walnuts.
- Place sliced apples in a big bowl. Sprinkle in the sugar & Cinnamon, toss well.
- Arrange apples in layers into a large heatproof dish OR small individual containers; filling it at least 3 cm deep as the apples will cook down in the oven.
- Mix the chopped walnuts with the sieved flour, salt & sugar & rub in the cold butter with your fingertips until crumbly. Sprinkle this over the apples and bake in preheated oven [160 degrees Centigrade] for 30 - 40 minuts or till the top is golden brown.
- Serve warm with Vanilla Ice Cream.
I can't emphase enough that everyone should know their own oven well. When I first learnt this, the oven temperature recommended was 170 degrees Centigrade for 30 - 40 minutes but I found 160 degrees Centigrade works well for me :) so be the judge of your oven. Set the timer at 30 minutes first.
Till my next post, xoxo, Ophelia