For all the recipes in my Blog, the spoons are cake measuring spoons. Thank you.
Step 1 Ingredients for filling
100 gm Butter
5 pips Garlic, chopped
80 gm Plain Flour, sieved
250 ml UHT Milk
100 ml Whipping Cream [brands like, "Anchor, Emborg, Shani"]
1 cube Fish stock mixed in 250 ml hot water [RESERVE 100 ml of this stock]
[600 gm Sole fish fillet, cubed + 200 gm Prawns marinate both with:-
2 teasp Salt
1 teasp Sugar
1/2 teasp ground White Pepper
1 teasp Corn Flour in 2 teasp Water]
150 gm frozen Mixed Vegetables, thaw same
5 Dried Mushrooms, soak then cubed
1 stick Celery, cubed
40 gm grated Parmesan Cheese OR 60 gm Cheddar Cheese, grated
1/2 teasp ground Black Pepper
2 Tablesp Parsley/Yin Sai, chopped [opt]
Method for Filling
- Melt *Butter [be careful as *Butter burns easily] add in the Garlic. When aromatic add in the sieved flour & stir till mixture bubbles. REMOVE from heat. Stir in the Milk, Cream & 150 ml of Fish Stock; stir till mixture is smooth.
- Return it to LOW Heat; stir till mixture boils & thickens.
- Add vegetables, fish, prawns & 100 ml fish stock. Stir, gently, for 1 minute, until fish is cooked [when cooked fish should look opaque]. REMOVE from heat; Gently stir in the Cheese, Pepper & Yin Sai. COOL completely then cling wrap as you dont want the filling to dry up while doing the Topping.
800 gm Potatoes
60 gm Butter, melted
60 ml hot UHT Milk for melting the Cheese
2 Egg YOLKS, whisk with a fork
120 gm Cheddar Cheese, finely grated
Method for TOPPING
- Place Potatoes in pot & boil till cooked. Remove skin straight away [easier to remove when potatoes are still hot] & mash till fine.
- Add melted Butter, hot Milk, [boil Milk & when there are quite a bit of bubbles on the side of pot, milk is hot enough as 1. Milk will curdle when boiled too long 2. YOLKS will curdle when mixed with HOT milk] & Cheese & stir short while [to cool slightly before the Yolks are added], then add in the beated YOLKS.
- Mix until mixture is smooth. If mixture is very stiff, add a little more milk. The mixture has to be firm enough to retain its shape when piped.
- Spoon mixture into a disposal piping bag fitted with a nozzle of your choice. SET ASIDE.
500 gm Plain Flour, sieved
20 gm Corn Flour, sieved
1/4 teasp Salt
250 gm *Butter, thaw butter for 15 minutes
*2 "A" Eggs, lightly beaten manually [total weight of eggs, without shell, 110 ml]
100 ml Cold Water from fridge
Method for Shortcrust Pastry
- *After Butter has thawed, slice into long stripes then cubed, Preferably cling wrap the butter & put in the fridge till ready for use esp when you are rubbing in the butter to the flour manually, the butter should be cold as our hands radiate heat which would melt butter faster.
- Sieve Plain Flour & Corn Flour into a big mixing bowl. Add in the Salt & stir with whisk to incorporate same.
- Rub in butter manually OR mix with dough beater of electri mixer on lowest speed until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add in the lightly beaten Egss & Cold Water & mix till it clings together [DO NOT over work the dough] straight away remove from mixing bowl & pat into a smooth ball.
- Put back dough into mixing bowl, cling wrap & refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes place dough in between 2 *large plastic sheets & roll into two (2) deep 10"/25 cm pie dish. [*large plastic sheets is the one that our hawkers use to wrap our fried noodles and you can buy these at most wet markets]
- Once the dough has been rolled, place your pie dish on pastry to see whether pastry fits, remove the top plastic sheet, use the large rolling pin & roll the pastry on the rolling pin. Carry the rolling pin & unmould to the pie dish [TAKE NOTE No need to grease the pie dish] You are bound to have a little bit of tear :) just do damage control, no big deal :)
- Use a fork & poke many holes on base & side of dough. Refrigerate till dough is firm approximately 20 - 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile PREHEAT oven at 200 degrees Centigrade for 20 minutes. Very important to make sure that you preheat as mentioned.
- REMOVE dough from fridge, place an empty 10" round tin on yr pie dish [to prevent the pastry from ballooning up] & STRAIGHT AWAY BAKE BLIND ON LOWEST RACK FOR 10 MINUTES (SO THAT BOTTOM GETS BAKED.
- AFTER 10 MINUTES, REDUCE THE TEMPERATURE TO 180 DEGREES CENTRIGRADE & MOVE THE EMPTY 10" ROUND TIN & CONTINUE TO BAKE FOR 15 MINUTES OR TILL LIGHTLY BROWNED & CRISP.
- Remove from oven & put your Fish filling then PIPE your Potato Topping with a Star Noozle; drizzle some Paprika or Red Chilling Powder for colour effect.
- PLACE THE PIE DISH INTO THE MIDDLE RACK & CONTINUE BAKING AT 180 DEGREES CENTIGRADE FOR 25 MINUTES OR TILL TOPPING IS BROWN.
Till my next post, xoxo, Ophelia