I remember when I learnt this long time ago, I rated it as 8/10.
800 gm Crabs
300 ml Water
100 gm Cucumber
2 Red Chillies, deseeded
2 Green Chillies, deseeded
5 Chilli Padi
1 cm young Ginger, cut into stripes
100 gm Tomatoes, halved
100 gm Red Chillies
8 small Onions/Shallots
5 pips Garlic
2 Tablesp Dried Prawns [soak in hot water]
30 gm Assam Jawa Mix with 100 ml water, squeezed
20 gm Gula Melaka [if dont have substitute with Brown Sugar]
3/4 teasp Salt
2 Limau Perut leaves, remove vein & cut into stripes
Thickening solution :- 1 Tablesp Cornflour + 1/2 Tablesp Water
- "C" - Pound finely the Red Chillies, Shallots, Garlic, Belacan & Dried Prawns.
- Heat frying pan, fry the pounded rempah/ingredient till fragrant. Add the Gula Melaka, Salt & Assam Jawa solution until Gula Melaka dissolves. Remove onto bowl & set aside.
- Heat kwali with sufficient oil, [Drizzle a little corn flour on crabs just before frying] throw in the crabs and fry for a short while [crab is half cooked] remove to plate.
- Heat a kwali then add in the cooked rempah, 300 ml water once its heated, throw in the half cooked crabs, daun limau perut and increase fire to high, cover the kwali & cook short while till crabs are cooked.
- Add in "B" & thicken with corn flour solution.