Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Potatoes fried with Methi

              This is a lovely Potato side dish fried with Methi and Methi is dry Fenugreek leaves and you can get this in our local supermarket or from an Indian Grocer shop.  I bought mine from an Indian Grocer.  As my better half loves Indian food, I fried this the first time last week to accompany a Mutton Korma and Nasi Berani and I found that the flavour from the Methi was Not too intense and I loved it and being a non Indian and not exposed to using Methi much in my daily cooking [this is my second time I used Methi for my cooking; the first time was for a different recipe] I was rather pleased with the result of this dish and resolved to use Methi more xoxo :)

                 Ingredients

                 300 gm             Potatoes
                     3 Tabsp        Methi
                     1 teasp         coarse Chilli Flakes
                     1                   big Onion, chopped
                                          A small knob of young Ginger, chopped
                                          Salt
               
                   Method
  1. Peel & cut potatoes into small and uniform pieces.  Heat adequate oil in a frying pan & fry the Potatoes till it is 3/4 cooked.  Remove & place on paper kitchen towel to drain excess oil.
  2. Soak the Methi in hot water for 10 minutes then strain it.
  3. Remove excess oil from the same frying pan; leaving just about 4 Tablesp of oil and heat it. Then fry the ginger & stir fry for 2 - 3 minutes.
  4. Add the chopped Onion & fry it till light brown.  Then add in the coarse Chilli Flakes, the pre fried Potatoes & sufficient Salt & fry till Potates are cooked.
  5. Reduce fire to low medium & add in the Methi & stir fry for a short while till the flavour of the Methi incorporates well with the Potatoes, dish out. 
                    Comments/Tips:-

                     (a)  If it is the first time you are using Methi in yr cooking, use 2 Tablesp in your maiden attempt here and then if you find that it suits yr palate, use as per this recipe :)

                     (b)  For all chilli lovers - When I made this dish, I found that it was not spicy enuf, so next time I would increase the coarse chilli flakes to 1 1/2 teasp.

                      (c)  I love making my job easier and even better; sharing ideas.  I place the Methi in a small siever first then place the siever on a small bowl then pour the hot water over the Methi; making sure that the hot water covers the Methi & after 10 minutes, I just lift up the siever :)




                          Till my next post, xoxo, Ophelia

No comments: