Total Pageviews

Friday, September 9, 2011

Cashew Nut Biscuit

                My late sister-in-law's, Peggy Quay, Tarts and Cashew Nut Biscuits were awesome and although I never got to master her tarts as, typically in the old days, there were no measurements and she showed me she used a laddle to measure the margarine etc, I could never somehow get her tarts right :( but her Cashew Nut Biscuit, aah that was different as it was measured and I made them many a time.

                Sarah, if you are reading this, your mum's tarts and this biscuits were awesome and her fingers were so nimble that she could make such beautiful and uniform pear shapes without the aid of any cookie cutter!!!

               Ingredients for Cashew Nut biscuit

                4 oz             Sugar
              10 oz             Margarine
              16 oz             Tepung Gandung/Plain Flour
              1/2 teasp       Baking Powder
              1/2 teasp       Cinnamon Powder
              1/2 Tablesp    Milk Powder
                                    Cashewnuts, untoasted
                                    A Pinch of Salt

             Glacing

                 1                 Egg, beaten with a pinch of Salt

            Method
  1. Place parchment paper on baking trays.
  2. *Stir the baking powder and Cinnamon Powder into the Plain Flour.  Then add in the Milk Powder & sieve same.
  3. Just stir in the *Salt manually to combine.
  4. Beat the Margarine & Sugar with a K Beater till soft & fluffy.
  5. Gradually add in the sieved ingredients into the Margarine mixture in 3 batches till combine.  Do NOT overbeat mixture.
  6. Preheat oven at 170 degrees Celcius for 20 minutes.
  7. Mould the dough manually into uniform pear shape & insert the untoasted Cashew Nut at the bottom.
  8. Place it on the prepared baking trays 1" apart.  Egg glaze the biscuits.
  9. Bake in preheated oven at 170 degrees Celcius for 15 minutes or till baked.  Cool completely then store in air tight containers.
                 Comments:-

                 *You may be probably wondering why 1.  I dont sieve the Milk powder together with the Plain Flour, Baking Powder & Cinnamon Powder? Well through personal experience as I use a very fine siever, I find that if I add the Milk Powder & sieve it together, I notice that the Milk Powder that I use that some of the Milk Powder get stuck to the fine siever which sort of prevents the other ingredients to go through smoothly inspite of the fact that the Milk Powder is very fine.  2.  The Salt, I dont sieve it, I just add it to the sieved ingredients & use a spatual & mix it manually. 

                   Till my next post, xoxo, Ophelia

No comments: