Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Ganache made with bitter sweet couvertures with recipe

                After baking my Semolina/Sugee cake & Orange cake for a customer, I was on baking mood, so the next day I baked a Beet Root cake using fresh beet root juice.  I was trying a Red Velvet cake but, I think because the recipe had cocoa powder and no artifical colouring, the cake wasn't red but black so in my mind, I coined it Black Velvet cake, haha.  It tasted soft and quite good but these two factors could not conceal the disappointment I felt as I wanted so much to make a Red Velvet cake with a cream cheese frosting and so since I had a cake at hand and some couvertures in the pantry, I decided that I would cover the cake with a ganache made with Belgium bitter sweet couvertures and put the balance of the ganache in the fridge for it to thicken slightly before I could attempt to make the swirls on top of the ganache.  I learnt making this ganache swirls so many, many years ago but never attempted to do same as it was a slightly messy job and you have to make the swirls quickly as the ganache at room temperature became softer quite fast so when the ganache was too soft to work on, I put it back in the fridge for a short while and then I continued making the swirls and this is the result of my handiwork. 






                   Will type the recipe for the ganache and swirl tomorrow.  Till my next post, xoxo, Ophelia.

                          Recipe for the Chocolate Ganache

                           250 gm                  Bitter Sweet Couvertures
                             31 gm                  Butter, thaw for 15 minutes till it soften slighly
                           250 ml                   Whipping Cream [brands like "Anchor", "Emborg", "Shani"]

               Method
  1. Break up the couvertures & put it in a bowl together with the soften butter.
  2. Pour Whipping Cream in a small pot on medium low heat & bring it to a gentle boil [dont over boil].
  3. Pour in the hot Whipping Cream onto the couvertures & butter & stir till the couverture melt.  Use two big spoons to help melt the couverture. Continue till you have a thick & smooth consistency.  Set aside to cool.
  4. Place the cake on a rack & over a bowl which has a flat bottom so that there is enuf space when you want to scrape it when doing the swirls.  Pour the ganache over the cake & let the excess drip onto the bowl.  Leave it for about 30 minutes for it to set.  Then place the cake & then cover the excess ganache & put in the fridge for the ganache to "harden" enough so that you can use a melon scoop to scoop out balls of ganache & roll over with ground pistachio or do like what I did; make into swirls & place on cake; I feel it look more regal.
              Comments:-

              a) you have to work fast when you are doing the swirls or melon ball shape as the ganache melts quite fast.  I was doing 3/4 of the swirl when it became slightly soft so I put it back in the fridge for a short while till I can continue.  I must say that though it was a little messy doing this; the amount of happiness it gave me after completing the swirls was worth all the effort;

              b) For this portion it is enough for a 7" cake and if your cake is 9" round; just double up :)

              c) Remove excess ganache from fridge and if you are doing the swirls, remember that you cant do straight away as the ganache is a little hard so it may "break" when you curl it.  It has to be not too hard Nor not to soft.  Leave for a couple of minutes after removing from fridge & play around with it.  The tool I use is just the one that is used to curl up butter.

                      Till my next post, xoxo, Ophelia
        

No comments: