For any of my Muslim friends & visitors, if you are unaware, Kirsh is a Cherry liqueur, so omit same.
So let's start first with making the Strawberry sauce.
STEP 1 - Strawberry Sauce
500 gm Srawberry
40 gm Castor Sugar
1 Tablespoon Raspberry/Strawberry Compound
1 Tablespoon Kirsh, opt
Method for Strawberry Sauce
- Trim off the leaves from the strawberries. Wash & then wipe dry. Cut into small pieces, removing some of the inner white parts.
- Place srawerry pieces into a saucepan with the 40 gm of castor sugar & cook over medium low heat, stirring from time to time for 10 minutes until mixture starts to thicken. Remove from fire & pour into another bowl. If you are using Kirsh, add now, stir to incorporate same then add the Raspberry compound, stir then let it cool to room temperature. Cling wrap & place in fridge for a couple of hours till it is real cold.
STEP 2 - Ingredients for Cre'me Anglaise
250 ml UHT Milk
1 teasp Vanilla Extract
5 Egg Yolks
70 gm Castor Sugar
*250 ml *cold Whipping Cream
Method for Cre'me Anglaise
- Whisk manually the Egg Yolks & Castor Sugar till thick & pale.
- On Medium Low fire bring the UHT Milk to Almost boiling point [*make sure you dont over boil till you can see quite alot of small bubbles at the sides].
- Wait for 3 minutes then gradually pour some hot milk into the beaten egg yolks while stirring then pour in the rest of the hot milk still stirring.
- STRAIN this mixture into Another bowl & then place it over a pan of simmering water on MEDIUM Low fire, stirring constantly till it thickens enough to coat the back of a Metal spoon for 3 - 5 minutes. Dip a Metal spoon & draw a line at the back of the spoon & if you can get a "clean" line, your custard is done. Make sure you dont over boil as the eggs will then curdle & you wont have a smooth consistency.
- Remove from fire & immediately place it in a pot of ice cold water in order to stop cooking process.
- Place a grease proof paper/white plastic sheet directly on top of the custard & once it is room temperature, place in the fridge for a couple of hours for it to cool.
- Add the cold Whipping Cream to the cold custard, stir to incorporate then add the cold Strawberry Sauce.
- Affix the ice cream maker. Switch on the ice cream maker & once you see *that the paddle is move steady [& Not wobbly] pour the custard through the opening & churn in the ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Use a wooden spoon [so you dont scratch the ice cream maker] & transfer ice cream to a tupperware then store in freezer for 2 - 3 hours.
Adding the cold Strawberry Sauce, then stirring same. It is preferable to put all these in a measuring jug so that you can pour it through the opening of the opening of the ice cream maker
I made a Banana Split, the Strawberry Ice Cream are at the back & the front, is my Coffee & Chocolate Ice Cream, scattered some toasted almond nibs & the long brown ones are the remainder of my Chocolate Ganache made which Chocolate couvertures.
See my Coffee & Chocolate Ice Cream for more important notes. Traallllaa yr ice cream is ready to be eaten. Till my next post, xoxo, Ophelia