Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Puff Pastry from scratch





                     5.10.2013 Ok this is my comments for today.  I remember when I posted this recipe, I wrote then that I lost track of the time so when I made this savoury puff pastry today, I made some changes to the oven heat as the last time when I bake the puff pastry, IT took way too long.  So this time, after checking with another recipe which I learnt from another Chef, I changed the oven heat to 200 degrees Celcius & baked for 25 minutes & I am happy with the result.  It was still crispy after 2 hours.  This time I increased the recipe by another half so in essence I made a 1 1/2 recipe this time.  For the recipe below I WILL NOW ADJUST THE OVEN HEAT & TIME TO THE ONE I MADE TODAY.  Ophelia. 

           Yesterday marked one of my greatest achievement; rolling & folding & baking puff pastry from scratch.  Although I have learnt same from 3 different Chefs seven years ago, I made no real effort to do same as making Danish, Puff Pastry & not to forget flaky curry puffs with oil & water dough, from scratch was something that I have put off for so long for fear of failure but that didnt stop me from browsing these 3 things constantly; playing the routine in my mind till I knew them like the back of my hand & if you were to ask me to take a test on theory, I would probably get through as I am always, always, browsing what I have learnt for the past 3 decades & then one day I woke up from hibernation!!! Among my good friends, I have been known to "sleep" on something new & "frightening" then when I suddenly wake up from hibernation, I will be filled with sheer bravado to just get the job done!!!  And the real satisfaction was to see the hub's pleasure in eating the Puff Pastry & hearing the crunch from the flaky layers, that was the best reward.  I purposely kept a piece to eat the next day & before I could warm it up in the oven, the hubs was eating it, managed to sneak a bite, it was still crunchy but not as nice as the day it was baked but the hubs was still pleased with it, that's that matters to me, so let's now get to the real business of doing "together"!!!

            Of the 3 recipes that I learnt, I choose to make this first for the simple reason that it was a smaller load but more importantly, the dough is done manually and it only seem natural for me to do this as it was my maiden attempt at puff pastry & I wasnt sure of the outcome but now that I know that I can do it, perhaps the next time I might just try to do one & a half times the recipe, which, I promise myself, will be sometime soon after I have finished my CNY cake orders, as I want to make savoury fillings for Hubs & my children & a few options rush to my mind, an awesome & easy curry puff filling, a chicken pie filling & minced lamb filling  :) The Chef who taught me this recipe said, the key to success is not only resting the dough But also NOT to dust too much flour on the rolling pin as well as on your table top & I made sure that I dusted it scantly AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST when you roll, do it gently and in one direction only otherwise you might "disturb" the layering and when you are ready to bake, make sure that when you cut into desired shapes, use a sharp knife & do a clean cut as you dont want to spoil the layers after so putting so much effort into it.  Definitely there's alot of work & details involved but I always did like to do things from scratch.

                Ingredients


               200 gm               Tepung Gandung/Plain Flour
                 50 gm               High Protein Flour [Bread Flour]
                 30 gm               Butter, slightly hard
               1/4 teasp            Salt
               130 ml                 Cold Water
               110 gm                 Pastry Margarine

              Method
  1. Sieve both flours together into a mixing bowl. 
  2. Add the salt & mix it to combine same into the sieved flours.
  3. Add the slightly hard butter & mix it with your hands till it resembles bread crumbs.
  4. Gradually add the cold water & mix it lightly with your finger tips till it forms a dough [making sure you Dont over knead].  
  5. Cover the mixing bowl with a cloth or large plastic sheet & let the dough rest for 15 minutes, at room temperature.  [I covered mine with plastic sheet].
  6. Place the pastry margarine in the middle of a large plastic sheet then fold the plastic sheet.  Use the rolling pin & roll or *beat it to a flat square.  Set aside.
  7. Dust your working table & rolling pin with a little flour. Place your dough & roll it long. Try to achieve a 12" x 8" size.
  8. Gently remove the flatten Pastry Margarine & place it in the middle of the rolled dough; making sure that the pastry margarine does not reach the top & bottom edge. 
  9. Take one end of the dough and bring it to the centre & fold it over the pastry margarine. Then bring the other end of the dough over to "meet" the other.  Then make a "Book fold" ie fold it into two
  10. Turn the pastry 90 degrees, scatter a little flour underneath & gently roll out the pastry away from you [upward direction] into a 12" x 8" size & in *one direction ONLY  making sure you sort of roll it level.  Cover & REST the dough for 10 minutes.
  11. Again take one end of the dough & bring to the centre of the dough; bring the other end to the centre to meet [this is called a "Three Fold"] then gently lift the dough, throw a little flour underneath & make a 90 degrees turn & roll again to same size 12" x 8" & then repeat the folding.  Cover & REST for 10 minutes.
  12. Repeat the same step of rolling to 12" x 8" then fold then gently lift up the dough onto a large clear plastic, cover it & let it rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
  13. After removing from the fridge let it thaw for a while once it is pliable repeat the rolling & folding for 2 more times; let it have a "final" rest for 15 minutes.
  14. The puff pastry is ready yeah!!! You can either wrap it & store in the fridge OR use it straight away.  Cut it into desired shapes, place on a tray lined with parchment paper & bake in a Preheated oven at 200 degrees Celcius for 20 minutes & bake till puff is Golden brown ie 25 minutes. 


       

                                          Placing the pastry margarine in the middle & bringing both ends meet.  You can see from this picture that the pastry margarine is Not to the extreme edge of both sides.


                        Notes:-

                          You can egg wash it before baking.  If you use Either:-


                              a) the whole egg for glazing, it would be more shinny; 


                              b)  only the egg yolk + 2 teasp water, it would be more aromatic;


                       I forgot to egg glaze :(

                          Till my next post, xoxo, Ophelia

2 comments:

Gratitude said...

Oh I would have to say that making good puff pastry with many layers is one of the toughest-dos that I've seen on pastry making, so much patience, so much folding :S Kudos!
+Ant+

Ophelia said...

Thank you Ant. You are right!!! It definitely needs alot of patience & tough but with practise, it becomes easier. God bless.