I remember when we were young, we used to buy this at our school tuck shop; how the years have flown by!!!
150 ml Water
180 gm Castor Sugar
60 ml Golden Syrup [bought mine in the cake ingredient shop in Tmn Megah]
1/2 teasp Cuka Buatan/Artificial Vinegar
500 gm Peanuts, toasted
60 gm White Sesame seeds, toasted
Prep - You can do steps No.1 & 2 first THEN cool it & store in an Air TIGHT bottle then next day do the Peanut Candy
- Fry the White Sesame seeds, without oil, till golden brown.
- Fry the Peanuts, without oil, [check & remove one of the skin to see the colour of the peanuts] straight away remove the *Hot peanuts onto a kitchen towel & remove the skin.
- Using a large clear *plastic sheet, cut it to line a Lamington or Sandwich tin taking note to allow the plastic sheet to be higher than both the shorter sides of the tin [this allows you to remove the plastic from the tin with ease :) ] Do NOT grease the plastic sheet.
- Combine water, sugar, golden syrup & vinegar in a wok.
- Stir over *low medium heat till the sugar dissolves [*low medium heat is because you Don't want to boil mixture].
- Once the sugar has dissolved Then increase heat slightly & bring it to a boil.
- Once it is boiling REDUCE heat to low medium & let it simmer WITHOUT stirring till it thickens to a caramel stage [THIS TAKES ABOUT 11 MINUTES. TO TEST take a chopstick & dip into the caramel Then drop a little into a small bowl of water. IF IT HARDENS IMMEDIATELY INTO A CRYSTAL THEN THE CARAMEL/SYRUP IS DONE.
- Stir in the toasted Peanuts & Sesame seeds into the caramel. Quickly mix thoroughly & pour it into the lined sandwich tin & spread it evenly.
- Quickly, using a rolling pin & using a light but firm "touch" roll it levelly to half an inch thickness.
- Remove from the tin by holding the taller plastic sheet.
- Use a sharp long knife, QUICKLY cut it to required size Before it hardens. Place the cut slices on a wire rack to cool before storing in air tight containers.