Let's start with the filling first as it does take time to strain the Pumpkin puree.
Ingredients for Pumpkin filling
500 gm *Pumpkin puree [Please read No.1 carefully with regard
to purchase of pumpkin]
150 gm Castor Sugar
1/8 teasp Fine Salt
150 ml *Whipping Cream
50 gm All Purpose Flour/Tepung Gandung, sieved
1/2 teasp Ginger Bread spice OR ground Cinnamon
2"A" Eggs approximately 120 ml Eggs weighed without shell
Method for Pumpkin Filling
- Buy a Pumpkin that weighs 1.2 kg [after skinning, removing the seeds & steaming, you can can 500 gm Pumpkin puree].
- Use a Potato peeler & remove the Pumpkin skin then cut it into wedges & remove the seeds &, for lack of a better word, the "fizzing stuff" :)
- Boil water in a steamer.
- Wash, drain & then cut the Pumpkin into uniform 1" cubes. Place the cubed Pumpkin in a stainless steel colander & raise it up so that the water does not touch the Pumpkin, cover the steamer & steam the Pumpkin till it gets soft probably 15 - 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile sieve the flour & the spice together & set aside.
- Place eggs in a bowl & beat it with a hand whisk. Set aside.
- Once Pumpkin soft, let it cool completely, place it in a big bowl & mash it fine.
- Pour the dairy Whipping Cream into the mashed Pumpkin & stir it for a short while.
- Add half the flour mixture into No.6 & stir less than a minute [most imp don't over mix].
- Just before adding the beaten egg into No.9, give it a quick whisk then pour the beaten egg into No.9 & stir for less than a minute.
- Add the balance of the flour mixture & stir short while working on the lumps. Place a siever over a big bowl & gradually pour the mixture into the siever & use a spoon to press the mixture through the siever in order to get a smooth filling. Once it has been done, set aside & let's do the short crust pastry.
Ingredients for the short crust pastry
250 gm Butter
410 gm All Purpose Flour/Tepung Gandung, sieved
110 gm Icing Sugar, sieved
10 gm Milk powder, opt
- Sieve the Icing Sugar into a bowl.
- Sieve the Flour into the mixing bowl.
- Remove butter from fridge & thaw for 20 minutes.
- Break the egg into a small bowl & beat it till slightly frothy; keep aside then b4 you pour in, give the egg a slight whisk :)
- Once the butter is quite soft, put it into the sieved flour. Then use a Kenwood machine [sorry as I have not used any other machine I don't know the appliance to use for other machines] & fit it with a K-Beater.
- Beat it till it resembles bread crumbs. [Please remember for pastries, you Cannot over work the dough]. Then add in the sieved Icing Sugar & beaten egg & beat it shortly till it clings like a dough.
- Remove dough to a bowl, cling wrap & put in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to *180 degrees Centigrade for 15 minutes.
- Then scale dough to 27 gm & mould it into a fluted 7.5cm egg tart mould, working the dough from bottom to top.
- Prick holes with a fork.
- Bake blind in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove & let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Spoon your pumpkin filling in the tarts & continue baking for 10 minutes OR till filling sets [if you are unsure once yr alarm rings after 10 minutes, give the oven door a slight shake; the filling should not be giggly & the centre should be Set. [If you over bake, the filling would not have the lovely, soft texture.
(b) If you are new to my blog, welcome. Please note for all my baking & cooking recipes, I use baking spoons & cups unless specified otherwise.
(c) You can get 15 short crust pies from this recipe & there will be a little bit of balance of the pastry.
(d) This short crust pie has a lovely & soft crunch; if there is balance just keep it in a tupperware & next day you can have them for tea, just eat it straight from the fridge :)
Cooling the steamed Pumpkin
My girl does not like any spices to the filling, so after spooning her share onto the pie crust ...
... I then add Ginger Bread spice to the balance of the pumpkin mixture as I simply
love Ginger Bread spice.
Till my next post, xoxo, Ophelia