Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Not enough Icing Sugar!!!



            When I created my blog; my primary objective was to share my recipes, tips that I learnt throughout the entire 26 years that I spent learning baking & cooking & my tots.  I felt very deeply that if I could share whatever I learnt or knew with ppl out in blogspire, esp the young adults who have just started working or those who have started having their own little family or young single adults, I would have accomplished what is, perhaps, my call in life, touching their lives in a little way. When we were young and we wanted to learn something then we had to pay & go for classes; these days the young adults & even children are very lucky as they have the internet; we didn't have "fairy godmothers" that we can approach; thus I like to think of myself as a fairy godmother, haha the title does seem fancy!!!

           I also think that after 26 years learning from various Chefs & Bakers, that it was time that I came out from under their wings & learn to also trouble shoot things myself.  Before if I encountered any problem or needed any explanation, I would "run" & ask my mentors.  What I am trying to say is this, which in realty is not a problem really.  A couple of days ago, I wanted to make simultaneously my Gum Paste & Royal Icing & as I use alot of Gum paste for all my "adventures" this time I decided I would increase the recipe 5 times and as I wanted to make Royal Icing, I needed in total 1,654 gm of Icing Sugar in total & after weighing the Icing Sugar, I realised I was short by 550 gm!!! I know the easiest thing would be for me to make a wild dash to the baking ingredient shop which was just 20 minutes away but then it was 6.30 p.m. & both the three shops closed at 6 p.m. I thought for a moment & then thought why can't I try to process castor sugar after all I did try to make my own Rice Flour as I mentioned in my recent post on the Lok Tau Peang that I baked so that was what I did exactly.  I processed the Casor Sugar, which really was not so time consuming then I sieved it & then I took the store bought Icing Sugar & compared its fineness with the Icing Sugar I processed & I was very happy as the one I made was just as fine as the one I bought!!! So I was happy as the next day I was able to make 5 batches of my Gum Paste & the following day the Royal Icing.  


           Till my next post, xoxo, Ophelia. 

2 comments:

Regine Karpel said...

Yay for you, Ophelia!
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Ophelia said...

Thank you Regine for dropping by & yes, and for your spotaneous "Yay". God bless.