Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Sook Yee/Sap Yee


              Well I am not an expert in the Chinese Language and though my grandmother was a Chinese, growing up we mostly spoke English. This is a "steamed and salted" Kambung fish that we can buy in our local market and then we fry it in some oil and though I love to eat it [as it is an appertiser] I normally refrain from buying same as I have doubts about its cleanliness and so when my Aunt taught me how to do it, I was over the moon!!!

             So let's get going :) This dish is normally made with Kambung fish.  Remove the entire head, slit a little of one side and remove all the "intestines". Wash and dry completely with a kitchen towel. Then rub a little Chinese Wine [optional] inside and outside of the fish & rub Sea Salt inside and outside of the fish.  

              Boil water in the steamer. Rub some oil on a rack that you are going to place the fish on so that it is easier to remove the fish after steaming. Once the water is boiling in the steamer; place the fish on the rack and carefully place the rack in the steamer, as water is very hot. Steam for 5 minutes. Then remove rack from the steamer and let the fish cool completely. Wipe the fish with a kitchen towel & fry how many you need in a little oil until its crispy or slightly crispy depending on individual preferance; for me I like it to be a bit more crispy & place all the remaining fish in individual plastic bag & in a tupperware in the fridge or freezer. I normally make 4 at a time and freeze whatever I do not need and then when I need to fry same, I will remove one and thaw it till it is room temperature [about 2 hours] & then fry same.



                         This is the "finished product"; after steaming and frying same and ready to be eaten. 



                          Removing the head and the intestines.



                          Toweling it dry after steaming



                           Frying in a little oil



                         I like to fry it till it is quite crispy.



  
                          Bagging the excess and freezing same.

                                  Till my next post, xoxo, Ophelia 

No comments: