Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 6, 2013

A Shoe theme birthday cake


             Recently I had been making so many shoes that they were figuratively coming out of my ears, nose and throat!!! My girl had her birthday coming and as she is very much a shoe person, I thought what better way to give her a surprise birthday cake at her office with the shoes I made lined up.  I had to make many as making the gum paste shoes was very addictive and they are quite delicate and may break at any time while making same.

              When I started making so many shoes, the Hubs kept asking me why was I making so many. I smiled and kept him in the dark :) so when it was almost her birthday, I told him why I was making so many, I wanted to surprise him too as I did not know whether I could pull it off!!! And then the excitement intensified as he was also excited too as he knew that both our girls are shoe crazy.  

              On the eve of the birthday, I baked a 10" Semolina/Sugee cake and once it had been cooled completely I placed it on a 10" board and the next day I spread butter cream on it.  Then I rolled some fondant and placed it on a 13" board and gingerly lifted up the 10" cake & placed it in the middle. Then I pushed some pearls, which I bought from a cake ingredient shop, on to the fondant to give it some texture otherwise the fondant may look a little bare. I asked the Hubs to choose which shoes he liked, I piped "Happy Birthday" on the shoes and then I placed it on top of the fondant. Okay mission accomplished!!! So had to call the birthday girl and try to figure out a plausible excuse to see her in the office as I wanted her to share the cake with her office mates. When we brought the cake to her office and passed her the cake she was so surprised.  She told me that she had 2 other birthday cakes already and I told her to open my box and cut the cake with her office mates. Haha she text to me and told me that my cake finished in half an hour and all of them were thrilled to bits with the shoes!!!

            Whenever I post my shoes on FB, without hinting as to why I was making them as I was always posting all my cakes, gum paste flowers, shoes on FB, my younger girl will tell me that "Mum you are making shoes and I keep buying more!!!" She was also thrilled to see her sister's cake on FB. Hmm now I have to one up my game and make her birthday cake more interesting!!! Thank goodness I have a few months to conceptualize the decor for her cake :)

            I am now waiting for a friend to bring back for me a [complete] shoe kit which I saw on line, can't wait for August to come!!!





                                


                  
         

                Till my next post, xoxo, Ophelia 

No comments: